LA-04 Mt. Gleason
IFC-Located in the Angeles National Forest, 9.8 miles west
of the Mill Creek Forest Station.
L&A-Located in the Angeles National Forest, 6.8 miles west
of the Mill Creek Forest Station.
Both sites are currently used as correctional Facilities by
Los Angeles County. The launch site magazines have been
destroyed, but nearly all the other buildings remain.
LA-09 Barley Flats-Mt. Disappointment/1955-1961/1B, 2C/ACQR
IFC-Mt. Disappointment, at end of fire road L&A-Located in
the Angeles National Forest, 2 miles North of Angeles Crest
Highway at Barley Flats. Launch site magazines have been
destroyed, the site is currently utilized by the L.A. County
Sheriffs Dept. The Admin buildings remain in good shape.
They were used as a probation camp until 1992. IFC site is
currently used as a radio relay station, a couple of
buildings and radar pads remain.
LA-14 El Monte (Whittier Narrows)/1956-1959/2B/ACQR
IFC-3600 Workman Mill Road. Located on the hill above the
present Rio Hondo Police Academy.
L&A-Located at 1200/1201 Potereo Road. The Admin site is
currently a U.S. Army Reserve Center. The Launch area is
located across Potereo Rd in Whittier Narrows Park (west of
the tennis center) and is used as a County work yard. The
IFC site has been destroyed and is now a radar relay
LA-29 Brea (Puente Hills)/1955-(1961)-1971/1B, 2C/ABAR
IFC-Located in the Puente Hills 5 miles up Site Drive off
Central Avenue. L&A-Located in the Puente Hills
approximately 5 miles up Site Drive off Central Avenue. This
battery had an AN/FPS-71 and an AN/FPA-16 ABAR unit. These
sites are currently Shell oil fields and are largely
destroyed or buried.
LA-32 Stanton (Garden Grove)/1956-(1958)-1974/2B /HIPAR
IFC-Located at the corner of Katella (Peterson?) and Knott
in the city of Stanton. L&A-Located at the corner of Knott
and Chapman in Garden Grove. 11751 Western Ave. This site
was evidently constructed for the protection of the Los
Alamitos Naval Air Station located just west of the Site
LA32 complex. IFC site destroyed, L&A site used by CAARNG.
Fountain Valley/1956-1957/Temp site
IFC-Located at Santa Ana Army Air Base (now John Wayne
Airport). L&A-Located at Santa Ana Army Air Base
RP-39 San Pedro Hill AFS (Z-39)/1950-1980/USAF-FAA
R-Located on San Pedro Hill off Crest Road. This was a radar
site only. This was a gap filler radar for Site LA-78Cand a
NORAD radar site with an AN/FPS-27 unit. It was manned by
both Army personnel and USAF 670th RS unit. This site still
has a number of functioning radars used by the FAA and the
LA-40 Long Beach Airport (Lakewood)/1958-1963/1B, 2C/ACQR
IFC-Located at the Southwest corner of Spring and Clark
Street at the Long Beach Airport.
L&A-Located at the Southwest corner of the Long Beach
Airport, near the intersection of Spring and Kilroy Airport
Way. The IFC site has been destroyed for a hotel
development. The Launch site was used for a number of years
as an emergency communications facility for Long Beach city
departments. It was recently destroyed during the
construction of the Kilroy office complex. The Admin area
remains in use by the CAARNG, but is scheduled for
LA-41 Long Beach (Signal Hill)/1959-1974/HQ
H-Located at 2200 Redondo Road. The site was the HHB for the
4th Brigade of the 251st ADA (CNG). Now it is used by the
California Army National Guard 240th Signal Battalion, and
for the Support Facilities of the 40th Division.
LA-43 Ft. MacArthur-White Point/1956-(1961)-1974/2B/HIPAR
IFC-Constructed on top of Battery Leary-Merriam on the Fort
MacArthur Upper Reservation.
L&A-The facility is located directly below Battery No. 127.
The Admin area was built in 1963.
The HIPAR power room with its commanding view of the Los
Angeles Harbor at the IFC site, has been converted for use
by the Marine Exchange. The generator and the operations
control buildings are being utilized by the Angels Gate
Cultural Center as artist studios. The various tower pads
are in a state of general disrepair, but all are present
except the HIPAR tower. The launch area at White Point is
currently abandoned and sealed shut, the buildings remain
but have been heavily vandalized. The administrative area
was destroyed some years ago and the area developed for USAF
LA-45 Fort MacArthur/1952-1974/AADCP
H-located on Pacific Ave. between 22nd St and 36th St. in
San Pedro. The site contained the HQs for the Los Angeles
Defense Area- the 47th ADA BDE (1952-1969), the 108th AD
Group (1956-58) and later the19th ADA Group (1969-1974). It
was also the site of the HHB of the 3rd battalion of the
57th ADA and after 1968, the HHB of the 1st battalion of the
56th ADA. It was the location of the area's Missile Master
(AN/FSG-1), and Missile Mentor (AN/TSQ-51) command centers
and was connected to the NORAD communication net which had
an AN/FPS-27 (FAA) radar unit and two AN/FPS-6 radar units.
The site is now owned by the USAF. The Nike Headquarters
Building 550 has been demolished.
LA-55 Palos Verdes-Pt. Vicente/1956-(1958)-1974/2B/ABAR
IFC-Located at the southeast corner of Crenshaw and Seacrest
Drive, Rancho Palos Verdes.
L&A-Located between Hawthorne and Palos Verdes Drive,
southeast of the Rancho Palos Verdes City Hall. This battery
had an AN/FPS-71 and an AN/FPA-16 ABAR radar unit. The IFC
site has been destroyed and is now Del Cerro Park. The
launch site is now the maintenance yard for the city of
Rancho Palos Verdes and the administrative site is used as
RPV City Hall.
LA-57 Torrance-Redondo Beach/1956-1963/1B, 2C/ACQR
IFC-Located at 1102 Camino Real, Redondo Beach. L&A-Located
behind 25225 Crenshaw Blvd. at the east end of Torrance
Airport. Launch area magazines are being used by the City of
Torrance Fire Department; the all the L&A buildings have
been recently destroyed. The IFC site is now Hopkins
Wilderness park, few concrete structures remain.
LA-70 El Segundo-Hyperion/1956-1963/1B, 2C/ACQR
IFC-Located at West Pershing, near LAX L&A-Located at 9014
Pershing Dr., Los Angeles. There were a total of 24
launchers at this combined launch site for both LA 70 and LA
73. The Admin area is currently the home of Jet Pets at 911
So. Falmouth Ave. The Launch area and all six magazines have
been destroyed. The IFC site has also been obliterated.
LA-73 Playa Del Rey-Hyperion/1956-1963/1B, 2C/ACQR
IFC-Located at Manchester and Redlands. L&A-Located at 9014
Pershing Dr., Los Angeles.
The L&A area was co-located with LA70. The IFC site is now
apartments and commercial establishments.
LA-78 Malibu (Santa Monica Mtns)/1954-(1959)-1974/1B, 2C/HIPAR
IFC-Located at 24666 W. Saddle Peak Road off Piume Rd.
L&A-Located at 1900 Rambla Pacifica.
Both sites are now owned by the Dept. of the Interior. The
IFC site has been extensively modified for use by various
communications equipment and radars. The L&A site is
currently leased by the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
Most of the structures remain at the site, though they have
been modified to some degree. The elevators still work on
all three launch platforms.
LA-88 Chatsworth-Oak Mountain/1956-(1959)-1974/1B, 2C/HIPAR,
IFC-Located on Oat Mountain. L&A-Located on Brown's Canyon
Road. The IFC is now the site of numerous Los Angeles
Country radio relay antennas and a PACTEL relay tower. The
L&A site is under the control of the State of California and
recently (1993) was the location of a California
Conservation Corps (CCC) camp. Most of the Nike structures
remain in good condition at both the IFC and L&A sites.
LA-94 Los Pinetos-Newhall/1955-(1961)-1968/1B, 2C/ABAR
IFC-Located in the Angeles National Forest off Sand Canyon
Road. L&A-about 3 miles and 1 mile, respectively, from the
IFC site. This battery had an AN/FPS-75 ABAR. The IFC and L
sites are used by ITT Gilfillon as radar sites. The Admin
site is used by LA County Fire Department.
LA-96 Van Nuys-Sepulveda/1957-(1961)-1971/1B, 2C/ABAR
IFC-Located on San Vicente Mountain next to Mulholland Dr.
L&A-Located at 15990 Victory Blvd.
This battery had an AN/FPS-75 ABAR. The IFC site is
partially intact in San Vicente Mountain Park, the L&A site
is largely intact and is used by the California Air National
Guard. A section of the launch area is used by the Army
LA-98 Magic Mountain-Lang (Saugus)/1955-1963/1B, 2C/ACQR
IFC-Located in the Angeles National Forest on top of Magic
Mountain. L&A-Located south of State Highway 14 in Soledad
Canyon (Lang Station). Though the battery was closed by
1963, the Admin area was used till the early 1970s. IFC site
is now used as microwave relay. The L&A site is being used
by a cement company and may be extensively modified.
Pasadena Army Support Center/1950-1963/HQ
H-located at 125 S. Grand Ave. in Pasadena. This site was
the HQ for the 12th Artillery Group and the HHB of the 1st
Battalion of the 56th ADA from 1956 to 1963. It is now a
federal court building. The structures used for some of the
Nike functions were located on the hillside behind the