Home Contacts | Vet Search | What's New Preservation | Restoration | Wish List | Film Location | Radio Room | Post History | Links | facebook


Battery Lodor - JAAN 1&2
Four 3-inch M1903 Pedestal-Mount Guns

Battery Lodor is the tale of three batteries which began life on a small sprit of land between Terminal Island and Deadmans Island in the Los Angeles Harbor. Constructed commenced on April 15, 1916 and the battery was finished and operational by July 31, 1917. Four, three-inch model 1903 guns were mounted along with several searchlights to serve as a rapid fire solution for the proposed controlled minefield, just inside the harbor entrance.
  
During the mid-1920's the main channel to the Los Angeles Harbor was widened and both Deadmans Island and Battery Lodor were removed at that time. The guns from the Battery were placed in storage and remained dismounted until mid 1942 when the four guns were separated and mounted as two batteries jointly manned by both Army and Navy crews. The new batteries, aptly called JAAN 1 & 2 (Joint Army And Navy) were spread out at opposite ends of the harbor area. JAAN-1 was located on a knoll above Cabrillo Beach. JAAN-2 was located in Long Beach in what is today called Bixby Park.
 
At this time, new shields were designed by the ordinance department that not only completely changed the look of the guns but also provided a greater level of protection for their crews. Both sites remained active until the end of World War Two.

Battery Lodor was named for Brigadier General Richard Lodor (1832-1917) a well known and respected officer and graduate of the US Military Academy at West Point class of 1856. He fought in several Civil War battles including the Mississippi Campaign, the siege of Corinth, and the battle of Stone River. During his long career, Richard Lodor became one of the most respected artillery officers in the US Army, he also taught artillery tactics at West Point. General Richard Lodor retired in 1896 and died in 1917. He is buried in the cemetery at the US Military Academy at West Point.


Sgt Manual Ramos and the crew of Battery G - 3rd Coast Artillery at Battery JAAN-1 above Cabrillo Beach
 


3 inch M1903 pedestal-mount gun at Fort Flagler showing the original gun shield design.
 


Battery JAAN2 at Bixby Park in Long Beach, the ammunition magazine and  one of the gun mounts have been removed.


3 inch M1903 pedestal-mount gun at Fort Monroe showing the new gun shield design

The Guns of Fort MacArthur

    Battery Osgood - Farley
    Battery Leary Merriam
    Battery Barlow - Saxton
    Battery Lodor
    Battery Erwin

    Battery Eubanks

    Battery 127 (Paul D Bunker)

    Battery 128

    Battery 240 (Harry C. Barnes)

    Battery 241

    Battery 242 (Harry J Harrison)

    90mm AMTB

    155 GPF Mobile Guns

    Anti-Aircraft (Fixed and Mobile)

Missile Systems of Fort MacArthur

    The Nike Program


Home Contacts | Vet Search | What's New Preservation | Restoration | Wish List | Education | Radio Room | Post History | Links | facebook


Content 1994 - 2013 The Fort MacArthur Museum Association. This web site has been prepared and is maintained by the Fort MacArthur Museum Association. We welcome email asking for additional museum and historical information. Comments or suggestions concerning this web site should be addressed to the webmaster. The opinions expressed in Fort MacArthur Association publications are those of the Fort MacArthur Museum Association, contributors, and members. They do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the City of Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks or any individuals employed by any department of the City of Los Angeles.