Battery Harrison BCN-242
Twin six-inch armored turret guns
The third and final six-inch
battery to be built for the harbor defenses of Los Angeles
was Battery 242 at the Bolsa Chica Military Reservation in
battery was completed and armed by before the end of World
War Two and the guns remained in place and operational until
1948 when they were cut up for scrap.
War Department General Order 51
issued on June 10, 1946 officially changed the name of the
battery to honor the memory of Major Harry J Harrison.
This 200 series 6" Coast Artillery Gun
identical to the ones installed at Battery 242 is
currently on exhibit at Battery Crenshaw, Fort Columbia,